Step Into Their Shoes
Step Into Their Shoes is an immersive resource pack which sparks debate through performance, 360 film and art.
This young person-centred resource has been designed and developed by Curious Monkey alongside groups of young people in the care system, their care-givers and care professionals. The package is a stimulus for deeper discussion around understanding a young person’s perspective of their care journey, how they feel it needs to change and gain a unique opportunity to step into their shoes.
The resource is made up of three elements:
· Leaving – 30 minute extracts from the award-winning play. Using the young people’s own words, an ensemble cast and an award winning creative team test the boundaries of verbatim theatre to bring real voices to the stage. Leaving gives a voice to those working within the care system from staff in children’s homes to decision makers. The extracts performance will create an immediate, immersive experience that will change the way you think about young people in care.
· Leaving360 Film Installation – A 13-minute immersive experience of leaving care told through the eyes of a young person through VR headsets.
· Panel Discussions - Curious Monkey’s Artistic Director, Amy Golding (director of Leaving), the cast of Leaving and potentially some young people from Troupe (our group for young people with experience of the care system) can take part in a panel discussion or Q&A session after the show.
We also welcome discussions to develop bespoke packages for your conference or event.
In 2018, the resource was toured as part of Care Leavers Week (24th– 31stOctober) to the following events:
· Culture Cares Conference– Derby Theatre
· Positive Futures Event – Barnardo’s, Traverse Theatre, Edinburgh
· The North East Regional Children in Care Council Conference – St James’ Park, Newcastle
At each of these events the resources were used as stimuli for discussion and debate on panel discussions, workshops or breakout sessions.
We are now taking bookings to tour the full resource package to conferences, events and training days during the second half of October, centering around Care Leavers Week 2019. The film installation is also bookable throughout the year.
For more information about the resource including the options available and pricing download the info pack. If you would like to talk about the resource can email Abi Moffat via email@example.com or call 07875135082.